Hate the overly sweet sweet potato casserole? Try some savoury baked sweet potato fries instead.
No brown sugar, no marshmallows (read: sugar). Just your favourite spices and you have savoury baked sweet potato fries.
You can use about ¼ to ½ teaspoon curry powder per sweet potato, if you don’t want to deal with all the different spices. Just experiment and make the recipe yours.
4 medium size sweet potatoes, about 1lb. (500 gms.) each
2 tablespoons olive oil, enough to coat the fries, plus one tablespoon to coat the cookie sheet
½ teaspoon Onion powder
½ teaspoon Garlic powder
2 teaspoons Cumin powder
2 teaspoons Coriander powder
½ teaspoon Paprika
½ teaspoon Turmeric
1 teaspoon Salt
½ teaspoon Pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375F (190C). Coat a cookie sheet with one tablespoon of the olive oil. Set aside.
2) Peel and slice sweet potatoes into quarter inch (half centimeter) slices, then slice again to get similar sized fries.
3) Toss fries with 2 tablespoons olive oil and spices in a large bowl or plastic bag until well-coated.
4) Arrange in a single layer on prepared cookie sheet.
5) Bake for 45 minutes turning every 15 minutes until puffy and crispy.
6) Remove from oven and serve hot. Can be eaten alone or with ketchup. Makes enough as a snack or side dish for four.